A Boy's Song
Red – girls
Black - boys
1. Where the pools are bright and deep,
2. Where the grey trout lies asleep,
3. Up the river and over the lea,
4. That's the way for Billy and me.
5. Where the blackbird sings the latest,
6. Where the hawthorn blooms the sweetest,
7. Where the nestlings chirp and flee,
8. That's the way for Mary and me.
9. Where the mowers mow the cleanest,
10. Where the hay lies thick and greenest,
11. There to track the homeward bee,
12. That's the way for Billy and me.
13. Where the hazel bank is steepest,
14. Where the shadow falls the deepest,
15. Where the clustering nuts fall free,
16. That's the way for Mary and me.
17. Why the boys should drive away
18. The girls who want to join the play,
19. Or love to banter and fight so well,
20. That's the thing I never could tell.
21. But this I know, I love to play
22. Through the meadow, among the hay;
23. Up the water and over the lea,
24. That's the way for Billy and me.
Lea - meadow