1. Boys The sons of the Prophet are valiant and bold,
2. And quite unaccustomed to fear,
3. Girls And the bravest of all was a man, so I'm told,
4. Called Abdullah Bulbul Amir.
5. All When they wanted a man to encourage the van,
6. Or harass the foe from the rear,
7. Storm fort or redoubt, they were sure to call out
8. For Abdullah Bulbul Amir.
9 Solo1 There are heroes in plenty, and well known to fame,
10. In the legions that fight for the Czar,
11. Solo2 But none of such fame as the man by the name
12. Of Ivan Petrofsky Skovar.
13. Solo3 He could imitate Irving, tell fortunes by cards,
14. And play on the Spanish guitar.
15. Solo4 In fact, quite the cream of the Muscovite guards
16. Was Ivan Petrofsky Skovar.
17. All One day this bold Muscovite shouldered his gun,
18. Put on his most cynical sneer,
19. And was walking downtown when he happened to run
20. Into Abdullah Bulbul Amir.
21. Solo5 "Young man," said Bulbul, "is existence so dull
22. That you're anxious to end your career?
23. Then, infidel, know you have trod on the toe
24. Of Abdullah Bulbul Amir.
25. "So take your last look at the sea, sky, and brook,
26. Make your latest report on the war,
27. For I mean to imply you are going to die,
Ivan Petrofsky Skovar."
28. All So this fierce man he took his trusty chibouk
29. And murmuring, "Allah Aklar!"
30. With murder intent he most savagely went
31. For lvan Petrofsky Skovar.
32. Solo6 The Sultan rose up, the disturbance to quell,
33. Likewise, give the victor a cheer.
34. Solo7 He arrived just in time to bid hasty farewell
35. To Abdullah Bulbul Amir.
36. All A loud-sounding splash from the Danube was heard
37. Resounding o'er meadows afar.
38. It came from the sack fitting close to the back
39. Of Ivan Petrofsky Skovar.
40. Boys There lieth a stone where the Danube doth roll
41. And on it in characters queer
42. Are "Stranger, when passing by, pray for the soul
43. Of Abdullah Bulbul Amir."
44. Girls A Muscovite maiden her vigil doth keep
45. By the light of the pale northern star,
46. And the name she repeats every night in her sleep
47. Is Ivan Petrofsky Skovar.
Prophet – Mohammed
van – front division of an army (same as vanguard)
redoubt – temporary defense (fortification)
Irving – famous writer
Muscovite – person from Moscow
chibouk – Turkish tobacco pipe with a long stem